-
October 12th, 2004, 11:13 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi All - count me as a newby here. I've been reading up on the Model 14's which seem fairly well respected for home systems. I acquired the "top sections" of the 14's on e-bay recently- upper enclosures crossovers and Mantaray horns, no drivers. I also just picked up a set of drivers and an additional set of horns. I'm assumming the drivers are 902's - they have a sticker on each = 081180 and a number stamped on the perimeter of the magnet=391034. They have the tangerine phase plug, One is missing the wire screen in front of the driver.
I have a number of questions:
Is the wire screen a component of the sound in anyway? Should I get a replacement part for it?
The driver terminals aren't color coded for + /- (there is a small x in marker next to one terminal on each speaker) is there anyway to determine polarity on these?
I'm planning on building the lower cabinet. Does anyone have detailed plans for such? I'm going to try to pick-up a couple of woofers off e-bay but I'm not sure what particular model to look for - will any Altec 12" pretty much work for these or do I need to find a set of originals, if so does anyone know what the model number is. Any help appreciated. Thanks Rich
-
October 13th, 2004, 02:48 AM
#2
HB Forum Owner
You really need the special woofer Altec designed for the Model 14. If you are interested, I can look around - I might know where a pair are.
You'll also need the crossover - it was special, too.
The plans are also available, or Iconic Mfg. Co.'s cabinetmaker can make you a set.
The drivers need to be identical. The screen doesn't hurt the sound, but they should be identical. Great Plains Audio can fix them for you and test polarity for you, too.
Let me know how I can help you.
-
October 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I think I read on this board somewhere about using tissue paper and a 1.5v battery, AA or similar. Put the tissure paper over the exit, and apply voltage, if the paper moves outward, then the plus side of the battery is on the plus side of the diaphragm.
Taking this one step further, I would think small piece of bread wrapper would be better, it won't let the air go through it. Just hook a couple wires up to the terminals of the driver (phone wire would work fine, just not the stranded type, use the install type!). I am thinking that a washer with a large hole in it could be set over the exit on top of the plastic, then apply the battery for a very short time. It should take less than a second to determine the polarity this way. I will experiment later today if I have time.
-
October 13th, 2004, 02:00 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Hi, Thanks for the replies. Popped the back cap off the drivers and the diaphrams are marked polarity wise. Sent Todd a mailing on some of the other stuff.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks